Saturday, 27 February 2010

Out of Adversity - A Triumph.....

There is an old saying that "out of adversity comes opportunity" - and I'm happy to say that that's definitely coming true for me.

The global recession has meant that I have lost my job twice in as many years. The toll on my self-esteem has been high - it has led to a two major depressive episodes, and, or so I though, the end of what had been a largely successful career in architecture.

Out of desperation I took a job miles away from home (I do a 3 hour round trip everyday), on a reduced salary, in a Home Improvement Agency - it's quite a departure.

At first I hated it. I resisted the change, loss of status and hated the location and the people. I was very critical, and tried my level best to leave. I was prepared to take quite unsuitable jobs, which would have bored me stupid, just to get out.

Then, slowly at first, and hardly noticeably, something started to change.

I started to accept my situation, and realised that there is a rich seam of opportunity within it.

I've now been there for 6 months. My colleagues all recognise me as a vital part of the team. My opinions matter, and my skills recognised. I am able to organise myself, and am autonomous. There is no criticism of my working practice.

My two colleagues are retiring, and look to me to take the department forward. For the first time ever, I will be driving the ship. My bosses are fully behind me, and are looking forward to the changes that they know I will implement. There will be a promotion, and more money. There will also be the opportunities, which I have tried to chase for over 5 years, to finally gain a recognised chartered status in my profession - which will enable me to cease feeling that I am an imposter, or a pretender, and which will validate me professionally.

We put on a day-long event yesterday for our contractors. I was asked to get up and give a talk about our work. I also did most of the presentation work. For the first time in months, I felt valued, and that my contribution mattered. And I really enjoyed doing it.

Of more value was the reaction of my colleagues. I got up and spoke in front of nearly 100 people (something I'm used to). I kept their interest, and even made them laugh....and gained the respect of my colleagues, many of whom came up to me later and said "that was impressive"......

Some of us went out for a drink afterwards, and, for the first time in ages, I felt relaxed, happy, outgoing and confident.

I can feel 'me' coming back to life......and I love what I'm finding.

No comments:

Post a Comment